Saturday, April 21, 2012

"Lets Build a Robot!"






I don't know how many kids are obsessed with robots; I only know mine is. We've recently started using a reward system that (given good behavior, listening, etc) gives him a "prize" every few days. This is working well for us, except... how do we issue prizes almost on the daily without spoiling rotten or spending money.

The other day I found a link online for paper toy printables (included below) and decided to go for it.

A few things you should know....

1. While these are cute, they WILL use a lot of ink
2. Print on thick paper or card stock to avoid flimsy robots. (we printed on regular paper then glued to thin cardboard. (use an old cereal box!)
3. This process is much more intensive than I originally thought. These need to be cut out precisely, and there are a lot of little pieces. I recommend cutting everything out ahead of time.
4. I didn't find any real instructions, so we guessed our way through it.
5. Also, I used an exact-o knife to score the backside of the card stock where it needs to be folded, bending a little so the kid could be more in charge at assembly time.
6. We used clear tape to hold this little guy together. It was fun and way less messy than glue would have been. I would recommend gluing for older kids though :)

Here's how it went, in pictures....

RESOURCES:

Robot Cutouts can be found at LouLou & Tummie

Visit Apartment Therapy for more Paper Printout Toys

2 comments:

  1. really cute! I'm sure Gavin didn't mind being the model :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is quite the ham. "take a picture of me!" :)

    ReplyDelete