Saturday, April 7, 2012

Trail Mix- Kids in the Kitchen

Hello Loves.

If you are like me, the thought of cooking something with your kids is fun.... then the thought of the mess makes you think twice. My boy is 3, and is desperate to help anywhere and everywhere. Usually this is less than helpful, however I do try to come up with fun less-mess projects. We did such a project yesterday... Trail Mix!

Now Trail Mix is one of those fabulous things that is completely customizable. We went through our dry goods and found some things that were almost gone, or that we had an over abundance of. We also bought the sunflower seeds just for this project. Total cost to us was around $1.50, since most of the ingredients were things we already had.

You will need:
  • Snack size zip-lock baggies (or small re-usable containers)
  • A large bowl or Gallon Size resealable Bag
  • A large spoon or scoop
  • Blank labels (optional)
  • The ingredients you want to use
We used:
  • Cheerios
  • Raisins
  • Dried Cranberries
  • Lightly Salted Peanuts
  • M&Ms
  • Sunflower Seeds 

We did not measure any of our ingredients. I gave my son the scoop and let him go to town. The blurry picture below shows everything we used, and a very excited 3 year old...



Once everything was in our large bag, I had him shake everything up (this turned into quite the little dance) and scoop 2 scoops into each baggie. I made some labels with sharpies, and viola! Gavin's Original Trail Mix.


 I recommend trying this even if you don't have kids. It's a great way to create a mix that you know you will like, and it also helps clean out the cabinet!

No comments:

Post a Comment