I'm sure you've all heard the saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure", or some other similar quote. But lets take this week and put it into action. There are many ways you can reuse things, and with an endless imagination, you could turn almost anything into something else that is more useable. Before you turn up a nose or think "oh my, here it comes" I will be discussing "picking" a little bit today. Sometimes the best places to find things, are quite literally, in the trash.
So I'll get right to it and we'll start with the TRANSFER STATION.
This wonderful place is also known as the "dump", "recycle center", "sorting station", etc.
I'm sure now you have an image of me with my wellingtons on, slushing through bags of trash. Please remove this thought. As a mother of a young boy, I have been through my fair share of gross things, willingly mucking through actual piles of bagged trash is not my thing. I assure you.
If you live in a town that has a transfer station (or maybe there's one in a neighboring town) definitely take the time to check it out. These places are not the picturesque landfill that most people imagine. Discarded items are sorted by material, and while there is a gigantic pile of household trash, you don't need to go anywhere near it to find some good stuff.
Our local transfer station (keep in mind we are currently at "vacation home" for the season) is only open on certain days, and charges reasonable fees for dumping, but charges NOTHING if you find something you'd like to bring home. Remember to keep your creative hat on when "shopping" here. Sometimes things are fixable with little effort, but you do have to literally and figuratively dig around.
Since this property is undergoing renovations, we find ourselves at the transfer station a lot. But I will have you scorners know, that I am certainly not the only person looking for "buried treasure". Below is a beautiful candlestick that I found last week. One leg was slightly bent, but 2 minutes with a vice grip sorted that right out :)
So in conclusion for today.....
Look around you and see what you can find,
Decorating on a budget means getting clever!
<3

awesome find!
ReplyDeleteThanks for reminding me of this! I miss the small town recycling centers. But now I am inspired to find out what's near me now.
ReplyDeleteYes but where you are there are SOOOO many cool places to get junk!!!
Delete