Hello again everyone!!
In my effort to reduce (and also save money) I've started making more snacks at home myself. I made banana bread the other day with a lovely recipe that I'll have to post later. It was hit, and it was healthy. Doubly so because I snuck flax seed into it, and the only butter involved was applied to the slices...
So here's my thoughts and some research on flax seed. If you don't particularly care about flax seed I suggest you scroll to the bottom for a fun link about do-it-yourself snacks. :)
Benefits….
Flax seed meal (or ground flax seed) is full of fiber and
heart-healthy fats. Replacing some of the flour in a recipe adds health
benefits without making anything taste
overly healthy. Also, it’s good for all
kinds of other things, for more info click the link below.
This is how I use flax seed:
Substitute some of the flour in a recipe with flax seed.
Make sure it’s ground! I usually replace anywhere between ¼ and 1/3 of the
flour with flax seed. I have not experimented with higher amounts, if I decide
to, I’ll update.
Also along the same lines, I found the following
information:
Here is some others you
can use to replace flour:
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs;
1 1/8 cups cake flour (1 cup plus 2 Tbsp);
7/8 to 1 cup corn meal;
1/2 cup cornstarch plus 1/2 cup rye, potato or rice flour (sift together 6 times, use with 2 tsp baking powder per cup in quick breads as wheat flour allergy substitute);
13/16 cup gluten flour (1 cup less 3 Tbsp);
5/8 cup potato flour;
7/8 cup rice flour;
1 1/3 cups rolled oats;
1 1/4 cups rye flour;
1/8 cup soy, cottonseed, peanut or carob flour plus 7/8 cup all-purpose flour;
1/3 cup wheat germ plus 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup minus 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour.
A general rule of substitution for flour is to reduce the flour by 1/2 to 3/4 cup and add the equivalent in flax flour. The fiber content of flaxseed flour will require some additional liquid when converting traditional recipes, as baked goods will brown more quickly
For eggs
1 tbsp milled flax seed and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg. Light, fluffy cakes!
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs;
1 1/8 cups cake flour (1 cup plus 2 Tbsp);
7/8 to 1 cup corn meal;
1/2 cup cornstarch plus 1/2 cup rye, potato or rice flour (sift together 6 times, use with 2 tsp baking powder per cup in quick breads as wheat flour allergy substitute);
13/16 cup gluten flour (1 cup less 3 Tbsp);
5/8 cup potato flour;
7/8 cup rice flour;
1 1/3 cups rolled oats;
1 1/4 cups rye flour;
1/8 cup soy, cottonseed, peanut or carob flour plus 7/8 cup all-purpose flour;
1/3 cup wheat germ plus 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup minus 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour.
A general rule of substitution for flour is to reduce the flour by 1/2 to 3/4 cup and add the equivalent in flax flour. The fiber content of flaxseed flour will require some additional liquid when converting traditional recipes, as baked goods will brown more quickly
For eggs
1 tbsp milled flax seed and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg. Light, fluffy cakes!
I got the above
information from the following page. Click or don’t, it’s just a yahoo answers
page.
A fun (FamilyFun in fact) link for some DIY snacks, and their recipes. Lots of pictures and good ideas. Even if it is from Disney.
I am going to try flax-seed meal at some point! We have flax-seed oil since it is apparently the best oil for seasoning cast-iron pans (which is the only kind we use) and I have been using some when I make Italian salad dressing (I buy the seasoning packet and make it at home with balsamic vinegar). I don't use it for all of the oil content but I like to think the amount I do add helps :)
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way! and with the flax, I'm told a little goes a long way as it is :) Thank you for also being my FIRST COMMENT!
ReplyDelete